It’s no longer a secret that for the better part of this year, the President Uhuru Kenyatta-led Jubilee government has been engaging in drama with Mombasa Governor Hassan Joho on quite a number of issues, ranging from his businesses ventures to his academic credentials.
All hell broke loose last year, when when the controversial county boss criticised President Kenyatta at a rally as he toured the Coast to launch projects.
What followed was a never ending drama which started with the government forcefully confiscating Joho’s firearms and also withdrawing his security details. Joho however won the fight through the courts.
But it didn’t take long before authorities from different government agencies including KRA and KNEC came knocking. The Governor was accused of evading paying taxes as well as forging academic papers to gain entry into university.
The two cases are on ongoing even as the Opposition leaders insist Uhuru’s administration is hell bent on frustrating its Governors.
Now, Bomet Governor Isaac Ruto who has been at loggerheads with Deputy President, has cited frustration by the Jubilee administration.
While being interviewed on Citizen TV on Wednesday, April 19, the Chama Cha Mashinani leader said the government has denied his party permission to conduct its primaries at primary schools in his county.
“The county commissioner has banned the use of polling centres which are primary schools. That is obviously what they normally like doing. They want to frustrate other political parties. If he wants to do favouritism, this is the beginning of troubles in this election,” Ruto said.
Ruto on Tuesday, April 18, officially joined the National Super Alliance (NASA) as the fifth principal.