Scores die in Nakuru accident after being forced into Guthurai bus [PHOTOS]

They were headed to Busia

Superhighway bus_THE STANDARD
The Githurai 45 bus route bus that was involved in Naivasha accident. PHOTO: THE STANDARD

Kenyans are waking up to the sad news that 20 people have died and scores severely injured at Mbaruk area along the Naivasha-Nakuru highway on Saturday, May 13.

According to media reports, the bus which was headed to Busia attempted to overtake a private car before colliding head-on with an oncoming trailer at around 3 am.

Naivasha bus accident1
The wreckage of the bus.

Matters were made even more tragic as another track that had been trailing the bus by the name The Flashlink, also rammed into it, completely wrecking the bus’ right side off.

READ:  Why we stopped Orengo, Wanjigi from travelling - Immigration

“We have counted 13 bodies which were strewn on the road while a dozen others were trapped in the bus which had its right side completely ripped off,” Rift Valley Traffic Enforcement Officer Zero Arome said.

The bus was rammed from behind by another trailer

Also according to a survivor who wished to remain anonymous, passengers had been forced to board the bus against their wishes.

READ:  Vera Sidika: Why are all the handsome guys in my life broke?
Naivasha bus accident

“We all booked into Kawere bus but the conductors forced us to board a Superhighway Sacco bus that plies the Giithurai 45 route. The 52 seater was carrying more than its capacity.” the survivor said as quoted by the Standard on Saturday, May 13.

The trailer

“We boarded it at around 11 pm because our bus had not arrived. The conductor refused to refund our bus fares despite passengers saying they will not board the bus,” the survivor added.

READ:  Four dead in Wajir school al Shabaab attack

The passengers had no other option but board the ill-fated bus albeit half-heartedly. Arome said that more bodies were still trapped in the wreckage while noting that retrieving them was a daunting task considering the extent of damage on them.

“Survivors were rushed to St Mary’s hospital. The bus driver survived but he escaped immediately after the accident,” concluded Arome.