Blogger Cyprian Nyakundi forced to apologise after fake news went viral

The Twitter bigwig had said KBC veteran journalist Leonard Mambo Mbotela had died in a road accident.

Cyprian Nyakundi
Blogger Cyprian Nyakundi at Milimani law courts where he was fined Sh300,000 with the option of spending four months in jail in the Safaricom defamation case, March 20, 2017. PHOTO: COLLINS KWEYU/THE STAR

A controversial blogger who started the rumours that Leonard Mambo Mbotela had passed on following a grisly road accident, issued an apology on the same shortly after the post went viral on social media.

Cyprian Nyakundi sparked the unfortunate and false online rumour though his Twitter account which boasts hundreds of thousands of followers, that the veteran KBC journalist had passed away. The tweet said that Mbotela had lost his life in a road accident.

READ:  DK Kwenye Beat now admits his weight is pulling him down
Leonard Mambo Mbotela
Veteran broadcaster Leonard Mambo Mbotela. PHOTO: EDAILY

Nyakundi received quite a bashing on the net after it was discovered that the ‘Je, Huu Ni Uungwana?’ journalist was alive and kicking. The social media bigwig was forced to apologise for the tweet, blaming misinformation on his part.

Turns out Nyakundi had reportedly confused Leonard Mambo’s passing with that of Jubilee aspirant Leonard Mwamba, who died on Friday, July 14 in a road accident.

READ:  Panic as child's coffin is dumped in Kakamega school

“Sorry guys. My always right source was wrong in the Mbotela story. Mzee is very ok and I apologize unreservedly for the post.” He clarified.

Mbotela took to social media to say he was well adding that he had forgiven the doomsayers.

“I am alive, I am well. I thank God. Kindly pray that I live longer. I am alive. I am alive. I am alive. I forgive the person who crafted and peddled the false report that I perished in a road accident; he does not know what he is doing. May God forgive him too,” He said.

READ:  Huddah Monroe wishes she was not a lightskin

Earlier this year, Nyakundi landed in trouble and was fined Shs 300,000 for contempt of court.