Reports reaching Zipo.co.ke indicate that two people were wounded after the vehicle they were travelling in ran over a landmine at Nyongoro along the Garsen-Lamu road.
The attack which is suspected to be the work of al Shabaab, happened on Monday, August 7 at around 6.30am.
Confirming the incident, Linda Boni Security Operation director Joseph Kanyiri said security personnel were in pursuit of the attackers.
“I confirm a lorry ran over a landmine. No deaths have been reported. More details will follow.” Coast regional police boss Larry Kieng was quoted as saying.
Lamu County Commissioner Gilbert Kitiyo also confirmed the attack adding that police were on the ground assessing the situation.
A report by the Nation quoted a source on the ground, who said that there was still an exchange of fire between the attackers and security officers in the area at the time of going to press.
The lorry commonly referred to as a canter was travelling from Malindi to Lamu’s Mokowe jetty to collect fish when the incident happened.
The injured are receiving at Witu Dispensary where they were rushed after the attack.
The area is a favourite of the millitants as its same place where a Kipini Raha bus ferrying passengers from Malindi to Kipini was ambushed by suspected Al-Shabaab militants last week.
The gunmen opened fire on the vehicle and injured five passengers before police repulsed them. Three other people on a motorbike were killed in the incident.
Just recently, three Tana River County government officials were killed in the same area when their Toyota RAV 4 was sprayed with bullets before the terrorists set the vehicle ablaze with the victims still inside.