Girl who burnt Moi Girls bragged about her wealthy family

She had an iPod and enjoyed special meal

SHARE
Moi girls_fire
A student gestures as she stands with others, following a fire at the Moi Girls. PHOTO: SUNDAYNEWS

Four girls were arraigned on Wednesday following the deadly Saturday, September 2 Moi Girls School Nairobi dormitory fire in which 9 died. The suspects will be remanded for one week as police continue with investigations.

As reported earlier by Zipo.co.ke, the 2am inferno was allegedly started by a troubled girl who had on two previous occasions, tried taking her own life twice – by drinking detergent and attempting to suffocate herself using a pillow.

Moi Girls suspect
Moi Girls fire suspect when she was arraigned in court on September 7, 2017. /TWITTER

According to her colleagues who were interviewed by a local daily, the said girl had once told her friends that she would do something drastic in the school “to make her parents know that the school is not safe”.

READ:  Bomachoge in mourning as former MP Joel Onyancha dies

A report by the Nation on Wednesday, said the girl always bragged about how she is from a wealthy family and that she has relatives who are top school administrators.

“She had an iPod, and when she was reported to the relevant authorities, nothing was done about it even though we are not allowed to have any electronics in the school,” the paper quoted a student.

READ:  Njoki Ndung'u, Ojwang' put up a strong case for Uhuru

Another colleague of hers reportedly said the girl used to enjoy the special meal diet because “the school food was not good for someone of her caliber”, and also enjoyed faking sickness.

“She liked doing a lot of illegal things and got off scot-free. She was troublesome, vulgar, violent and no one could stand up to her even though she was reported to the administration,” another student said.

READ:  Orie Rogo Manduli headgear falls off at NASA rally [PHOTOS]

Investigators have established that the fire had started from this particular suspect’s bed before it spread to other cubicles and later on consuming the whole hostel.

16 girls were hospitalised with severe burns including three in the intensive care unit where one of them – Mary Mokaya – who was hailed as a hero for saving her colleagues’ lives, sadly passed on a few days ago.